1. Effective RtI Using Common Core Standards—Every Student, Every Classroom, Every Day
All teachers, PreK–12, can accelerate student progress in reading and writing using the principles of RtI and CCS.
The session will describe an RtI full-accountability model that is grounded in current research and educational trends. Participants will discuss:
- The role of Common Core Standards in Response to Intervention
- Best practices aligned to a successful Response to Intervention framework
- Expert grade-level instruction and differentiated support across a wide range of reading levels
2. Ensure All Teachers, K–12, Make the 3 Shifts Required for Implementation of Common Core Standards
All teachers, PreK–12, can accelerate student progress in reading and writing using the CCS. Learn how to do it NOW.
The session will describe how to strengthen grade-level instruction and formative assessment through the 3 Shifts:
- Building knowledge through content-rich nonfi ction
- Reading, writing, and speaking grounded in evidence from text, both literary and informational
- Regular practice with complex text and its academic language
3. Assessing Text Complexity Using the Common Core Standards
The CCS require teaching students to negotiate increasing levels of text complexity. Learn what those levels are in order to teach to them.
The session will describe how to assess text complexity by providing:
- Introduction to the Common Core and the issue of text complexity
- Walk-through of a CCS leveling system for assessing text complexity using videos and books
- Hands-on practice using this system to assess text complexity
4. Best Practices in Designing Common Core Units of Study
Districts across the country are facing the challenge of revamping their curricula to refl ect the demands of college and career readiness. Learn what it takes to integrate content areas and the ELA CCS, implement the 3 Shifts of ELA CCS, and prepare for Next Generation Assessments.
During this session, participants will consider the demands such a curriculum must satisfy:
- Explore the Common Core curricula already created by districts across the country
- Hear about successful ways to get started and common pitfalls to avoid
- Draft a unit of study plan for one or more grades
- Bowie State University, MD
- University of Missouri—Columbia, MO
- St. Francis College, NY
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Conference
- National Association for Bilingual Education Conference
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Conference
- South Carolina Association of School Administrators, SC
- Georgia Association of Educational Leaders Summer Conference, GA
- NJ Principals and Supervisors Association, NJ
- Innovative Ideas Institute, SC
- Seneca Highlands Intermediate Unit, PA
- Educational Service Center of Cuyahoga County, OH
- FEA/NJPSA/NJASCD Fall Conference, NJ
Fill out the form below and one of our American Reading Company representatives will contact you to answer any questions you may have.